Is Your Home Too Air-Tight?

Did you know that your house needs to 'breathe' in order to have healthy air?  There are gases, toxins and moisture that need to be expelled from the inside, and fresh air needs to enter from the outside.
 
In an attempt to conserve energy and reduce heating costs, homeowners can make their homes too air tight.
 
When a fuel-burning appliance in your home doesn't get enough fresh air and fails to completely burn its fuel, carbon monoxide is produced. If ventilation is damaged or blocked or if you have a powerful kitchen fan, bathroom fan or open hearth fireplace, then carbon monoxide can be drawn back inside the house.
 
What are the signs that your home is too air tight?
     • The air inside your home is usually stuffy or stale.
     • Excessive condensation is dripping down your windows.
     • The pilot light on your appliance goes out.
     • A gas flame burns yellow instead of blue (except for natural gas fireplaces).
     • The smell of exhaust gas is present in your home; although you cannot smell carbon monoxide, other exhaust gases do have an odor.
 
What can you do to increase the amount of 'healthy air' inside your home?
 
Here are a few resources where you can read about how to keep your home's air quality good during the cold months when everything is closed up.